The privacy and confidentiality of personal information is of the utmost importance to Velante. As such, Velante has developed privacy policies to assist us in ensuring that information collected by and disclosed to Velante is handled properly and according to applicable legislation.
What is “Personal Information”?
The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”) states that Personal Information means “information about an identifiable individual, but does not include the name, title or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.”
Personal Health Information is also part of a person’s Personal Information. In general, Personal Health Information refers to identifying information about a person when the information pertains to the person’s health or health history, family history or details regarding the provision of health care.
What type of “Personal Information” does this privacy statement cover?
Velante provides Information Technology support, implementation and infrastructure services to customers. Personal information which Velante may have access to or collect during the course of these activities includes:
- Personal information belonging to or pertaining to customers;
- Personal information processed by Velante as part of a customer service;
Personal information contained in systems for which Velante provides Information Technology support services or maintains as a service.
Who is responsible for Privacy at Velante?
Velante’s Privacy Officer is responsible for privacy at Velante. These responsibilities include:
- Maintaining and evolving Velante privacy policies and procedures
- Responding to privacy breaches
- Responding to complaints with respect to privacy
- Promoting privacy awareness within Velante
- Ensuring compliance with Velante privacy policies
- Ensuring compliance with privacy legislation
- Responding to requests for information regarding Velante data handling procedures
Summary of Velante Privacy Polices
- All employees and third party contractors working on Velante’s behalf are made aware of the importance of privacy and confidentiality of personal information through training and a compulsory review of Velante’s privacy policies.
- A privacy evaluation must be completed for any program or endeavour with which Velante is involved which deals with private and confidential information (including personal information).
- Privacy breaches are reported to the Velante Privacy Officer who will implement the privacy breach procedure to evaluate, mitigate and address the breach. (This will include addressing legislative requirements where applicable).
- Complaints regarding privacy are reported to the Velante Privacy Officer who will implement the privacy complaint procedure to respond to and resolve the complaint. (This will include addressing legislative requirements where applicable).
- When required, personal information must be destroyed in a secure and confidential manner.
- Velante will put in place physical and technical safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the information collected by or disclosed to Velante. This includes controlling access to and storage of personal information in a controlled and secure location.
Private and confidential information (this includes personal information) must be handled according to Velante’s Appropriate Usage and Data Handling of Private and Confidential Information Policy. This policy specifies that personal information must:
- only be used for the purposes for which it was collected by or disclosed to Velante;
- never be disclosed to unauthorized individuals without the express consent of the owner of the information;
- only be accessed on an ‘as needed’ basis;
- only be accessed with the permission of our customers;
- only be accessed on an ‘as needed’ basis and access must limited to the minimum amount of information required to complete the activity;
- only be transmitted or transported using approved methods;
- never be disclosed to unauthorized individuals;
- must be destroyed in a secure and confidential manner;
- must retained only for as long as it is required to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected by or disclosed to Velante or as required by applicable legislation;
Who do I contact if I have a complaint regarding handling of my Personal Information?
If you have complaint regarding the handling of your personal information by Velante you may contact Velante’s Privacy Officer at: Privacy@Velante.com or the organization responsible for Privacy oversight relevant to your geographic location. If you need assistance in determining who to contact please feel free contact Velante’s Privacy Officer for assistance.
Who do I contact for further information?
If you would like further information regarding Velante’s policies and procedures please contact the Privacy Officer at: Privacy@Velante.com.